…and I really hope y’all enjoy it, because it may be the last one I post for a little while! I’ve been incredibly sick and, accordingly, so slow and unmotivated. Every time I sit down at my machine, I start falling asleep.

Yes, it’s the (finally) completed Building Blocks quilt! See those splotches? That’s the backing fabric shinin’ through. It ruins the effect, but I can’t get too upset at the lovely morning sunlight in the park 🙂

the back, so you can see it in all its glory and brightness!

I quilted this with invisible thread.

“That invisible thread?” you say. “You mean the kind nobody uses?”

Yes, that invisible thread.

“You mean they still sell that stuff?”

Yes, they do. At Winmil. And I was naught but its latest victim.

I finished this only by quilting for about fifteen minutes every day, which was all I (in my sickness) and my machine (in its wisdom) could handle before the thread started bunching and creating these tough little plastic balls all over the back of my quilt! I at least had the humility to listen to the shop owners when they told me not to even attempt to wind it into a bobbin, so I used white. You can’t tell. The back is pretty dramatic, even after being subdued by stippling (seriously, you can’t see through the quilt that much in real life. But now I’m debating switching the brand of batting I use.) The back is an apparel fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics that I bought because I didn’t click the “view fabric with ruler” icon (duh) before I added it to my cart. I didn’t like it for a garment, but LOVE it for a quilt.

Relevant info:

1. Block fabrics are Paula Prass Wild Thyme (the tulips); AMH Little Folks Voile; Yuwa/ Kei Honeycomb (obvi) in Steel; Kona Cotton in Ash, Coal, and Charcoal; and a Windham red dot pattern.

2. Threads were Dritz invisible thread (stay away!!!) and Gutermann 20.

3. Size is about 62″ square (a tiny bit too small for my taste).

4. Sashing fabric is Kona Bone (love this and have bought it for another upcoming quilt).

5. Block technique is very elementary…squares drawn on posterboard, lines somewhat randomly drawn (it still has to be a nice, uniform size, y’all…can’t get too crazy!), and templates cut out. See the post about the top for more info.

I hope I’ll have some energy tonight…wish me luck!

Advertisements

When I came home from the first NEMQ meeting a few weeks ago, I challenged myself to make a quilt of my own design, on the spot, using only fabrics from my stash. Result:

(Sorry for the shadows cast by the monkey bars!) Y’all can probably guess that I love, love, love this top. I used Kona in Ash, Coal, and Charcoal; Yuwa/Kei Honeyomb (of course) in Steel (both directions–gray dots on white and white dots on gray, though they read similarly in the finished blocks); AMH Little Folks Voile; Paula Prass Wild Thyme; a Windham red-and-white polka dot; and a giant, bold, red floral from Gorgeous Fabrics (which has also become the back). I used every scrap of fabric I had in my stash and had to use one teeny piece of Midwest Modern when I did not have enough gray fabric to finish the last piece in the final block. Hopefully it isn’t too noticeable (to you…it is screaming out at me from its resting place).

After I finished this, I learned that the block is called Map of the States and was invented by Elizabeth of Oh, Fransson…with a much more sophisticated and easier method of piecing than I used. Yes, I used old file folders.  I fussy-cut every piece of fabric in these blocks (that’s about 400 pieces of fabric, if you’re interested in knowing that sort of thing).

fabric and block detail

There are actually four different blocks, which I worried wouldn’t be enough to differentiate them…but now I think it was unnecessary even to make four! Once they’re all sewn up into the quilt, they look completely different anyway.

I absolutely love this and, accordingly, made the sandwich immediately, only to run out of quilting thread a few minutes later. Not wanting to waste precious weekend quilting time going all the way to the store to buy thread, I began a new top instead. I’m going to try quilting with invisible thread for the first time, because I don’t think any one color will do justice to every patch. I can’t wait to quilt it, and plan to stipple it, as usual.

In other news, I spent some time making some great blocks from Modify Tradition this weekend…you should check it out! The site and tutorials are wonderful and the blocks are a perfect complement to my newly acquired library of Profiler DVDz (thank you, Katie P.). I’ll post some blocks later this week. Until then…