…and I really hope y’all enjoy it, because it may be the last one I post for a little while! I’ve been incredibly sick and, accordingly, so slow and unmotivated. Every time I sit down at my machine, I start falling asleep.

Yes, it’s the (finally) completed Building Blocks quilt! See those splotches? That’s the backing fabric shinin’ through. It ruins the effect, but I can’t get too upset at the lovely morning sunlight in the park 🙂

the back, so you can see it in all its glory and brightness!

I quilted this with invisible thread.

“That invisible thread?” you say. “You mean the kind nobody uses?”

Yes, that invisible thread.

“You mean they still sell that stuff?”

Yes, they do. At Winmil. And I was naught but its latest victim.

I finished this only by quilting for about fifteen minutes every day, which was all I (in my sickness) and my machine (in its wisdom) could handle before the thread started bunching and creating these tough little plastic balls all over the back of my quilt! I at least had the humility to listen to the shop owners when they told me not to even attempt to wind it into a bobbin, so I used white. You can’t tell. The back is pretty dramatic, even after being subdued by stippling (seriously, you can’t see through the quilt that much in real life. But now I’m debating switching the brand of batting I use.) The back is an apparel fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics that I bought because I didn’t click the “view fabric with ruler” icon (duh) before I added it to my cart. I didn’t like it for a garment, but LOVE it for a quilt.

Relevant info:

1. Block fabrics are Paula Prass Wild Thyme (the tulips); AMH Little Folks Voile; Yuwa/ Kei Honeycomb (obvi) in Steel; Kona Cotton in Ash, Coal, and Charcoal; and a Windham red dot pattern.

2. Threads were Dritz invisible thread (stay away!!!) and Gutermann 20.

3. Size is about 62″ square (a tiny bit too small for my taste).

4. Sashing fabric is Kona Bone (love this and have bought it for another upcoming quilt).

5. Block technique is very elementary…squares drawn on posterboard, lines somewhat randomly drawn (it still has to be a nice, uniform size, y’all…can’t get too crazy!), and templates cut out. See the post about the top for more info.

I hope I’ll have some energy tonight…wish me luck!

Potholder pride

March 17, 2010

Fellow NEMQG member Amy started a second round of the potholder pass last month, and I happily joined. I made one string block (paper-pieced) and one wonky log cabin block, both measuring about 8″ square, for my partner Karen:

Karen said she wanted Heather Ross fabrics, but I didn’t have any, so I substituted. I thought this Kokka print shared the same whimsical qualities, and I had enough in my stash to do both bindings and still have fabric left over.

The string block is stippled using a pearl gray thread, and the log cabin block is lightly quilted with the same.

I made pockets on the backs using my leftover “Retro Garden” fabric.

I even sacrificed some of my Honeycomb, which is, without question, my #1 favorite fabric of all time.

I am so happy with how these turned out, but I was terribly nervous along the way! I am relatively free-wheeling when it comes to my own projects and forgiving of myself when I make mistakes…but creating things for other people adds a new level of obsessive perfectionism.

As always, there are stray threads invading my photos…

I really hope she likes them. Thanks, Amy, for this fun and rewarding swap!