I was cruising around on JCrew.com the other day and I saw this skirt in the final sale section:

Instant love. I went to add it to my shopping cart and noticed the price: $98. I vaguely remember expressing incredulity for a few seconds before beginning to mentally sew it with the Burdastyle Jenny pattern. Within a few days, of course, I was actually sewing it with the Jenny pattern.

Before I get to the FO shots, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on their styling of the skirt:

Moving on.

There’s not too much to be said here! After making the muslin last week, I had all the alterations to the master pattern and was content to go to work. The waist of the original was a bit large, so I cut it in in half, but I think that was the only pattern change. It came together very quickly this time.

While it’s obviously not exactly the same, it retains the things I liked about the original: a high-waisted, straight silhouette; a small waistband; and a floaty, watercolor-y floral pattern.

The only changes I made cannot really be called changes–they’re just personal construction preferences: a hand-sewn zipper (which took a while, since it’s 12″ long), muslin interfacing, and the like. The fabric is from Winmil, and I bought quite a bit of it, so I hope I still have enough to make a sleeveless dress. Aalthough I hate to harp on how much things cost, since I do spend quite a lot on fabric, I am proud to say that the grand total of this skirt was about $8.

As always, I have to tell you that I made this while watching a few episodes of Season 1 of Murder, She Wrote.

Happy sewing!

A truly wearable muslin

April 10, 2010

Look how happy I am!

I finally finished something I actually will wear and–gasp–would even buy! It’s the lovely and versatile Burdastyle Jenny skirt pattern. I made this as a test run, also called a wearable muslin, because I have a limited quantity of some lovely fabric I’m hoping to squeeze a dress and this skirt out of, and I wanted to see how much fabric it really uses.

Excuse the bizarre facial expressions and hand placements in these photographs, please! I find it so difficult to take pictures of myself.

I used a stretch cotton broadcloth from Gorgeous Fabrics, which was wonderful to work with.  I made the size 34, because the pattern said to go by your hip measurement, not your waist measurement…and it ended up being a bit tight for me in the waist. I don’t think you can tell in the photo, and I don’t think it actually looks tight, but I do prefer to wear my clothes a bit looser than most people.

Don't look at the bizarre hand placement!

I ended up having to do a fairly major alteration and take out about 2″ from the hips. Right before I sewed in the lining, I had the good sense to check the fit one last time, and I’m happy I did, because the hips were gaping in a very unattractive way. The alteration I made seems to change the silhouette of the skirt, which is supposed to be more rounded in the hip area…but it has to fit me, so a straight skirt it is! I was worried because my New Complete Guide says not to try such a large alteration in a skirt, but I had no choice, so I plowed forward.

I love the look and feel of the fabric. It was actually twice as expensive as the fabric I want to use, but I have a LOT of it. I actually don’t know what to do with the rest of it. I have more than two yards, and it’s fairly stiff, so I may make a spring coat!

All in all, I am just so pleased with this skirt. It is an A+ pattern in my mind, and it really is as versatile as they say. I am really enjoying making it a second time right now!